Intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) is the problem in which the baby appears with smaller weights compared to expected.
If an ultrasound assessment represents that the baby weight is below the 10th percentile of their gestation age, then the problem is called as intrauterine growth retardation.
This condition is also called as small for gestational age or fetal growth restriction.
There are primarily two kinds of intrauterine growth retardations: one is primary or symmetric IUGR as well as the various other is second or crooked IUGR.
Primary or symmetric IUGR is a problem where all the internal body organs are reduced in size. This problem could appear in 20-25% of all the instances of IUGR.
Secondary or asymmetric IUGR is a problem where the brain and also head of the baby are in normal dimension but the abdominal area is smaller sized. Normally, this condition is unclear till the third trimester.
Intrauterine growth retardation is due to the babies not getting enough nourishment. This is since of different conditions in the mom. They can be:
- Heart disease
- Multiple pregnancies
- Eclampsia or preeclampsia
- Placenta problems
- Advanced diabetes
- Chronic kidney disease
Uterus and placental factors:
- Chromosomal or genetic abnormalities
- Infections that you run into while pregnant that have an impact on the fetus like toxoplasmosis, syphilis, rubella as well as cytomegalovirus
- Placental abruption
- Placenta previa
Risk factors in the mother:
- Drug addiction
- Alcohol abuse
- Heart disease
- Poor nutrition
- High blood pressure
A expecting woman can be contaminated with IUGR at any phase. Early beginning IUGR results with various chromosomal irregularities, placenta issues, or maternal illness. Late start IUGR is because of a few other problems.
There are different concerns connected to intrauterine growth retardation during birth such as:
- Low apgar scores
- Difficulty in preserving normal body temperature
- Decreased oxygen levels
- Meconium aspiration
- High risk of cesarean delivery
- Hyperviscosity (lowered blood circulation because of the high number of red blood cells)
- High threat of neurological and electric motor disabilities
- High risk of hypoxia
Severe intrauterine growth retardation results in stillbirth. This problem can also trigger long-lasting growth troubles in your babies.
The treatment for intrauterine growth retardation continues to be troublesome. Generally, the treatment will rely on your pregnancy stage.
- If you are 34 weeks pregnant female or greater, after that wellness care company suggests you to choose early delivery.
- If your maternity is less compared to 34 weeks, after that the healthcare supplier advises you to continue up until 34 weeks. Throughout this time, fetal wellbeing as well as the quantity of amniotic fluid will certainly be kept track of. If both of these can not reveal great result, after that a prompt distribution is recommended. If your healthcare carrier recommends delivery prior to 34 weeks of pregnancy, then you will certainly undertake amniocentesis in order to evaluate fetal lung maturity.
Even a healthy mom can likewise be impacted with intrauterine development retardation. Typically, the therapy includes appropriate nutrition, adequate bed rest or prompt delivery.